Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Juror Hasn’t Felt this Rested in Years

Wayne Pullman, an electrician from Portland, Oregon, has had a chronic sleep disorder for the past five years. His wife, Judy, claims he has restless leg syndrome, while his mother-in-law is certain he has sleep apnea. What nobody ever imagined is that the cure was only one call to jury duty away.

After overcoming his initial fear that the jury duty notice was an arrest warrant, Pullman felt nothing but frustration. “I couldn’t believe my bad luck,” explained Pullman. “Not only was I having problems at work because my lack of sleep was making me cranky, but now I had to go listen to a bunch of suits blabber.”

Wayne’s luck looked to get even worse when he was selected as juror number four on a patent infringement case regarding light fixtures. Only a couple of minutes into the plaintiff’s opening argument, however, Pullman began to feel a sense of relaxation. He tried to follow the argument that ShineSpec’s new nightlight technology, which helps men urinate more accurately during middle of the night trips to the bathroom, was being copied by the defendant Glow & Grow. Pullman’s attempt to focus was futile. Before he knew it, the whir of the air conditioner combined with lead counsel’s repetitive use of overly technical jargon lulled him into a deep slumber.

“It was truly amazing,” described a bright-eyed Pullman the day after the trial ended. “I fell asleep almost instantly and over the course of the week-long trial I was only interrupted by the judge for lunch breaks and when it was time to go home.” Even though Pullman also fell asleep during jury deliberations he was roused briefly to vote in favor of the plaintiff and award punitive damages in excess of $12 million dollars.

“In the end, what it came down to for me was that I owed the plaintiff a debt of gratitude for the sleep I recovered during this trial.” Since the trial, Wayne has been able to keep consistent resting hours through use of several bar exam preparation videos.

0 comments: